Peek-a-boo Plant: First Prop of 2008
The first prop of the year, and it isn't even for me. I'd started making it for a friend last winter, and the poor little thing has been sitting in my office unpainted ever since. I finally took the time to finish it this afternoon.
She's made from styrofoam balls, acrylic paint, bathroom tissue mache, a stick, some moss for the base and an old pot. You can make one just like it using the same technique I did (see Carnivorous Plant in the Horrific How-To's section).
Basically, it's styrofoam balls stuck on wire and attached to a stick. I then dip toilet paper in a glue/water mix and cover the wire with it (creating leaves and eyelids). Wait for it to dry completely. Then start layering different shades and colours of paint.
The bathroom tissue does most of the work for you texture-wise. It's not the most fun to work with, and can be quite temperamental, but you get a feel for it. And dry-brushing is what highlights all the little wrinkles.