Skip directly to content

Mr. Flopsy - Halloween Prop

 

 

Mr. Flopsy was created for my Clive E. Cleaver's restaur-haunt theme. He's made from a stuffed pair of coveralls, some bedsheets, a styrofoam wighead and some cardboard.


Part 1: The Body

I took a pair of coveralls and stuffed it. I used a large square of styrofoam for the base of the torso and put a large plastic bowl against it for the tummy. I took two long pieces of cardboard and slid one into each pant leg (to give them a bit of structure) then fleshed out the space around the solid items with crumpled newspaper and plastic bags.

Anyone who makes costumes or sews, look away. It is too pathetic to watch how I did the rest of this. I don't have a sewing machine and there was no way I was going to waste time sewing this all by hand. Besides, Mr. Flopsy is dead - he doesn't need to move around.

I draped a $5.00 pink sheet over the body to make sure I could wrap the material around it. I simply cut a long slit between the legs, propped the legs up (one at a time) on a chair so I could reach beneath, and pulled the material around it until they met at the back. There was some fussing, flattening, tugging and trimming during this process. If you have safety pins (or even little clips), they will help keep the fabric in place while you are wrestling with it.

I did the same thing for the arms: I cut slits in the material, propped the arm up on the chair, wrapped it in material, fussed and straightened.

The whole body suit (with the exception of one arm) was done with one sheet (I think it's a double sized sheet).

Then I took my trusty stapler and crudely stapled the material together at the back. That's right. I stapled it, then trimmed off the excess fabric.

Though there isn't a picture of it in this section, I also bought a fuzzy pink blanket that was on sale. I cut out a shape that looked like the outline of the number eight (without the holes) and used spray glue to attach it to the chest and tummy.

Part 2: Bunny Head, Hands and Feet

To start with, I took a styrofoam wig head and some wire (the bottom sections of wire hangers). I pressed the wire into the top of the head, one on each side. These will be the guide for the ears. I bent the wire until I was happy with the angles.

I took two more pieces of hanger wire and created loops on either side of the face for the cheeks.

I cut out long shapes for the bunny ears out of cardboard. These were slightly longer than the length of the exposed wire inserted into the wighead.

I pierced small holes at the top of the cardboard ears and pushed the wire through from behind. I pressed the ears against the wire and taped them along the back.

I cut out a rough shape (sort of like a bean) of cardboard and wrapped it around the wire cheeks, again using tape to keep them in place. I cut out an oval of cardboard, turned it onto its side, and attached that to the back of the head and cheeks.

I then used packing tape all around the top of the cheeks in vertical strips to give a basic form/cover up the big gap between the wighead and cardboard.

I carved out an oval from styrofoam for the nose area and ran wire straight through it into the wighead.

I took some of the excess pink sheet material and wrapped them around the ears, taping them in place at the front. This was covered with the fuzzy pink blanket material (cut out in the same shape as the ears, only smaller) to hide the seams.

Using the same pull-flatten-staple method you saw before for the body, I covered the main part of the head with sheet material.

I used card stock to cut out two eyes (with painted pupils) and fangs. These were attached with spray glue.

I cut out pink fuzzy eyelids (half circles cut on a slant) and positioned them to make him look a little menacing.

And of course, he needed a fuzzy pink nose.

I had a cheap pair of costume rubber hands and feet. I stuffed them with crumpled newspaper before I painted them pink, then dry brushed them with white paint.

To help keep the feet in place, I popped the end of the cardboard sheets (inserted into the legs of the body when I was fleshing it out) into the openings where you would normally slide your own feet into the rubber ones.

Part 3: The Skull

First, my apologies. I didn't take pictures of the skull as I was making it. You can use any skull that you have, or make your own. I used paper mache to create a cast of an existing skull shape I had, covered it in layers of newspaper dipped in glue and water, and then used paperclay to form the ridges, folds, and teeth. To learn how to make your own paper mache cast from an item, check out my tutorial called Paper Mache: The Ghoul Friday Way.

I only used four colours to paint the skull: black, white, brown and yellow.

I stuffed the head with newspaper and scraps of material left over from the project before inserting a sturdy cardboard roll (from a package of aluminum foil used up during the mache process) into the bottom as the neck. I attached the bottom of the skull to the neck with more paper mache, and when that dried, I covered it with paperclay.

I cut a slit in the top of the body (where the opening of the neck of the coveralls was underneath) and slide the neck between the styrofoam base inside and the crumpled newspaper stuffing.

Finally, I took a scrap piece of bed sheet material, folded it four or five times and created a circle around the base of the neck to make it look like a collar.