**Have You Learned Anything From Horror Movies?
You can always spot when a character in a horror movie has suffered a lapse in judgement. After the movie is over, you might talk about techniques of staying alive when encountering dark creatures and situations. I decided to take this concept and turn it into a competitive game of question and answer.
Break the party guests into equal groups. Explain that you will be offering standard examples of horror movie situations. Each team should nominate one person to be their speaker. They can change this speaker at any time, but note that only one person can answer the question.
Once the question is asked to the entire group, each team will work together with their members to come up with an original and resourceful response to the question. They must explain why they chose this answer (sometimes it is the explanation that can make or break a winning answer).
They have 30 seconds to brainstorm with their team (you can adjust this time limit for certain questions if needed, but 30 seconds generally is enough time). You may wish to give each team a pen and paper to take notes. When time is up, there is no more talking or writing (especially if the other teams have started giving their answer). Any team caught talking or writing after time is up is disqualified from that round.
Each team representative answers the question. Rotate which team gets to answer first. The most creative, horror-movie-knowledge-based answer wins the point.
1. You are with a group of people going on vacation. Your car runs out of gas in the middle of nowhere. It's getting dark. You can't get a signal on your cell phone. There was little to be seen on this deserted road as you travelled, except an old house that looked abandoned, a gas station, a little girl running a lemonade stand, and an amusement park. What do you do?
2. You are looking to buy a house. What important information should you find out about the property before you buy it?
3. What is the number one sign that it is time to move out of your current house?
4. You are running from a monster through the woods. Having watched many horror films, you know you should expect certain things to happen as you try to get away. Name two of them, and tell me what actions you should take to increase your chance of staying alive if they happen.
5. While exploring an abandoned building, your companion finds a dusty old book with leather binding and what might be Latin writing carved into the spine. After he comments on the pretty inverted star with an image of a goat's head in the centre of the cover, what should you do?
6. You hear a noise in the house. You decide to investigate what caused it and discover it was only the cat. What should you do?
7. If the power has just gone out, what is the worst room to search?
8. To escape a crazy man in a nondescript pale mask, you enter an old farmhouse through the storm doors of the cellar. You manage to lock the storm doors from the inside, but when you look up the stairs to the doorway leading to the main level, you realize it has no door to bar. What do you do?
9. Finish this statement and explain your answer: "Never stand in, on, above, below, beside or anywhere near a..." what?
10. While walking along the beach, your friend found an antique necklace and has been wearing it proudly each day during the cottage vacation. Lately, they're sleeping more, looking pale, wincing at bright lights, and at dinner they surprise you by speaking another language you didn't know they had studied. What do you do?
11. You are watching television. The image flickers and loses its cable connection. You notice an image is slowing emerging from the static on the screen. Your friend happily exclaims "Oh good! The picture is coming back." What do you do?
12. You have just shot the crazed psychopath 5 times (twice in the head, twice in the chest, and once in the leg). He has fallen dead on the floor. What do you do?
13. There is a corpse in a coffin. Buried with it is a rosary, a dead cat, a dagger and a wilted rose. You have to take something. What do you take and why?
14. You are being chased by a monster. To your left is your car, to your right is your house, and straight ahead is your neighbour's home. Where DON'T you go?
15. You are babysitting. The killer keeps calling you on the phone. What should you do?
16. Five of you are trapped in a large mansion with something that has already killed off your other companions. You've managed to find 3 flashlights, a baseball bat and of course the switchblade your creepy friend always brings with him on trips for some reason. You are all in a bedroom on the second floor planning your next move. What is your plan?
17. Zombies have risen from the dead. Where is the best place to survive this sudden apocalypse? (Note: you must remain on earth)
18. Excluding sports equipment, tools (power or otherwise, including axes), and knives, what is the best household item to use as a weapon against a flesh-and-blood monster?
19. Your group, being stalked by vicious creatures, has decided to split up. You HAVE to pair up with one of them. Which one do you pick as your partner: the science geek, the jock, the cheerleader, the hoodlum, or the quiet pale girl?
20. Taking into consideration all of the horror films ever made, who or what would be the most dangerous, scariest person/creature to have to fight off or escape from?